History

In the Beginning... (1908-1911)

In the year of our Lord 1908, the home of Bonder and Amanda Johnson gave birth to the formulation of Macedonia Baptist Church of Arlington, Virginia. As their "Walk of Faith" increased, the fellowship was formally established as Macedonia Baptist Church in 1911 by Reverend Brass Clark of Alexandria, Virginia and Reverend Frank Graham of Mount Zion Baptist Church. Reverend John Gilliam served as the first pastor.

Early Growth...(1912 -1925)

Pastoral Succession: Reverend Williams, Reverend Peter Mitchell, Reverend Bernard Botts, Reverend Pickney, Reverend Richardson, Reverend Carter Taylor and Reverend Oliver Hawkins. Due to the need to expand, the Old Peyton Hall at Nauck Station was purchased under the pastorate of Reverend Botts. During the transitional years, God blessed Macedonia spiritually as well as increased the membership.

Progress Begins... (1923 -1968)

Reverend Sherman Phillips served faithfully for 43 years. Under his pastorate the growth in membership resulted in the construction of a new edifice at the corner of 22nd Street and the "Track" (Kenmore Street). The cornerstone was laid on September 18, 1927, by the Odd Fellows Organization. Several organizations and auxiliaries were established by Reverend Phillips, which added the Outreach Ministries of the church. Eight Associate Ministers were added to the fellowship under Reverend Phillips' administration. After 43 years of faithful ministerial service, Reverend Phillips was called to eternal rest.

Pressing Onward... (1968-1995)

Reverend Clarence A. Robinson succeeded Reverend Sherman Phillips and was officially called to the pastorate at Macedonia Baptist Church on February 26, 1969. Under Reverend Robinson's leadership, the organizational structure of the church expanded to meet the needs of the church and community. A building expansion program was initiated and on October 10, 1971, the cornerstone was laid by the Grand Lodge of Virginia and Arlington Lodge#58. To broaden the spiritual wisdom and exposure of the membership, Reverend Robinson brought nationally recognized theologians and political figures to the pulpit; inclusive of Reverend Jesse Jackson, Dr. Benjamin Mays, Honorable Chuck Robb and Former Governor L. Douglas Wilder. Reverend Robinson instituted the practice of Christian Stewardship by implementing the Tithing Program and establishing the Church Calendar Clubs. The church mortgage was burned during a "Mortgage Burning and Rededication Service" held April 30, 1989. On February 26, 1995, a “Final Pastoral Worship Service” was held and Reverend Robinson officially retired after 26 years of dedicated ministerial service to Macedonia Baptist Church and the Nauck Community.

Looking to the Future... (1996 -Present) 

On July 18, 1996, the membership of Macedonia Baptist Church, in obedience to the Holy Spirit, rendered a ninety seven percent "affirmative vote" of those "present and voting" in the election of Dr. Leonard L. Hamlin, Sr., as Pastor-Elect of Macedonia Baptist Church. In November 1996, Dr. Hamlin was installed and given full pastoral authority of the Macedonia Baptist Church. Dr. Hamlin's leadership, in the words of the Apostle Paul, ring true to God's promise, "Eye has not seen nor has ear heard, nor has it appeared to man, what God has in store for those who love Him." ( 1 Corinthians 2:9) Under the profound pastoral leadership of Dr. Hamlin, Macedonia Baptist Church has been praising God for numerous blessings and witnessed the following:
• Continuous growth in church membership, approximately 1,300 members;
• The addition of a 7:45 a.m. Sunday Worship service;
• Annual Leadership Conferences;
• Computerization of Church offices;
• Installation of a new sound system;
• Increased Church budget;
• Major renovations of the upper level of the Church;
• Purchase of the following properties: 2112 Shirlington Road, 2114 Shirlington Road, 2118 Shirlington Road, 
   2219 Shirlington Road and 2229 Shirlington Road;
• Purchase of one 24 passenger bus; and a 15 passenger van;
• Establishment of Bonder and Amanda Johnson Community Development Corporation;
• An increase from three employees to ten full-time and eleven part-time employees;
• Rededication of the Clarence A. Robinson Library, which included the addition of a Computer Learning Center;
• Implementation of Before and After Care School Program;
• Establishment of forty-four Ministries under: Cornerstone Life Ministries, Christian Education, Missions and Outreach
  Ministries, Worship Ministries, and Youth and Young Adult Ministries;
• Partnership with the Arlington Housing Corporation for the development of 36 affordable housing units; opened
   “The Macedonian” in May 2011;
• Licensure of 14 Ministers;
• Ordination of 5 Ministers;
• Ordination of 16 Deacons;
• Consecration of 23 Deaconess;
• Thomas Adams, Ulysses Terry, and Walter Williamson deemed Deacon Emeritus; Isaac Brooks deemed Chairman
   of the Deacon Board Emeritus;
• Implementation of a three year Discipleship Ministry Program;
• Purchase of the YMCA which was later renamed The Family Life Center;
• Establishment of the Generation Now Youth and Teen Church on 2nd Sundays;
• Implementation of a Minister in Training class;
• Establishment of the Young Adult Ministry “The Connection”;
• Implementation of a 9:30am Worship Service on fifth Sundays;
• Establishment of the Members and Spiritual Development Ministry;
• Dr. Robert F. Cheeks installed as Pastor of Shiloh Baptist Church, Mclean Virginia, in 2007;
• Rev. Todd A. Brown installed as Pastor of First Baptist Church of Chesterbrook, Mclean, Virginia, in 2007;
• Rev. Evelyn King founded the Greater Gospel Church, Virginia, in 2011